Our Position on Biotechnology
Amalgamated Sugar supports the use of agricultural practices that accomplish the following objectives:
- Provide safe, abundant and nutritious food.
- Decrease environmental impacts.
- Provide healthy working conditions for employees.
- Preserve soil fertility.
- Maintain the commercial sustainability of farming.
- Better the lives of human beings.
Since 2008, GE sugarbeets have significantly advanced each of these objectives:
- Our growers produce safe and nutritious sugar that is used to feed America. Since 1996, they have produced 67% more pounds of sugar per acre, and 57% more tons of sugarbeets per acre.
- In the past 20 years, our growers have applied 85% less pesticides and used 60% less diesel fuel per ton of beets, reducing impacts to the environment and creating a safer environment for employees.
- GE sugarbeets allow our growers to engage in less tillage of the soil, reducing CO2 emissions and topsoil erosion, and protecting soil integrity.
- Genetic engineering allows our growers to remain commercially viable and to produce a safe, affordable product at reduced costs to consumers.
- GE sugarbeets better the lives of human beings by producing more food using safer, more cost effective technology.